Ingredients Bread gulab jamun in English
* White bread slices – 9, large, brown sides cut
* Khoya – 1/4 cup (mawa/reduced milk solids) – unsweetened
* Milk – as required to make a smooth dough
* Cardamom powder – 4 tsp
* Sugar – 2 cups
* Water – 4 cups
* Pistachio – for garnish
How to Make Bread gulab jamun in English
* First prepare the sugar syrup by heating the sugar and water. Allow the sugar to dissolve completely and add cardamom powder and mix. Simmer on low-medium heat for 9-10 mins or till the syrup turns slightly thick.
* While the sugar is simmering, prepare the bread dough. Cut the side of the bread and make a fine powder of the bread in a mixer grinder.
* In a bowl, add the bread powder, mawa and cardamom powder and mix well. Slowly add a tbsp of milk at a time and make a smooth dough. Add enough milk to make a smooth, softs and pliable dough.
* Heat enough oil for deep frying in a wide heavy bottomed vessels. While the oil is heating, make small balls of the dough.
* Make gooseberry sized balls of the bread gulab jamun mixer and ensure that there are no cracks. Roll into smooth balls between your palms without applying too much pressure. Cover with a damp cloth till you deep fry them.
* Reduce heat to low and very gently place the bread balls in oil. Do not overcrowd the vessel. Leave them undisturbed for a min. Gently move them around for even cooking. Allow them to turn a beautiful golden brown shade.
* Use a slotted spoon to remove the golden fried colour bread jamun and immediately place them in the simmering sugar syrup.
* Allow the fried bread gulab jamun to simmer in the sugar syrup for 3-5mins. Turn off the flame and allow the bread gulab jamun to soak up the syrup. They will swell in size and appear heavy.
* Remove to a serving bowl, pour some sugar syrup over them and garnish with chopped pistachios or almond 10.